Thursday, January 3, 2013

BOOK REVIEW {Born Wicked (The Cahill Witch Chronicles #1)}


Title: Born Wicked (The Cahill Witch Chronicles #1)
Author: Jessica Spotswood
Publisher: Putnam Juvenile
Publication Date: February 7, 2012
Genre: YA, Paranormal, Historical Fiction
Source: purchased my own ecopy

Everybody knows Cate Cahill and her sisters are eccentric. Too pretty, too reclusive, and far too educated for their own good. But the truth is even worse: they’re witches. And if their secret is discovered by the priests of the Brotherhood, it would mean an asylum, a prison ship—or an early grave.
Before her mother died, Cate promised to protect her sisters. But with only six months left to choose between marriage and the Sisterhood, she might not be able to keep her word... especially after she finds her mother’s diary, uncovering a secret that could spell her family’s destruction. Desperate to find alternatives to their fate, Cate starts scouring banned books and questioning rebellious new friends, all while juggling tea parties, shocking marriage proposals, and a forbidden romance with the completely unsuitable Finn Belastra.
If what her mother wrote is true, the Cahill girls aren’t safe. Not from the Brotherhood, the Sisterhood—not even from each other.


You had me at witches. I have always been drawn to anything witchy and Born Wicked satisfies. Then when you add in a hot, nerdy boy, some catty girlfriends with a historical setting, you get awesome.

Cate Cahill is the oldest of 3 sisters. She seems a bit uptight. There were parts of this book where I literally said out loud, "Really? Just chill out!" But if I had a deadly secret hanging over my head, I might be a little uptight too. Her sole responsibility is to look after her sisters and keep them safe. She does everything in her power to protect them but nothing works out the way it's supposed to. Cate finds herself falling in love with the one person she shouldn't fall for. Oh, Finn. I do have a soft spot for nerdy boys and Finn fits this category. I so badly want Cate & Finn to end up together!

The first several chapters seem to drag a bit for me. I was so excited to read this and then I was like... come on! But the more I read, the more I realized I couldn't put it down. My husband left one afternoon to run some errands and I swear it seemed like 10 minutes later he was walking through the door again. I hadn't even changed positions! It's that good!

I was SO frustrated with the ending. I even pouted a little. I complete understand the reasons for the outcome but it doesn't mean I have to like it. I'm just thankful there are more books coming. This means there are plenty of chances to turn things around!

Definitely read Born Wicked if you love witches. Definitely read Born Wicked if you don't love witches. Just Read It! Like, yesterday.

And can I just point out how gorgeous that cover is?! Love.



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Recent Instagrams