Friday, January 16, 2015

REVIEW: Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs

Title: Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
Author: Ransom Riggs
Publication Date: June 7, 2011
Source: Purchased my own copy.

A mysterious island. An abandoned orphanage. A strange collection of very curious photographs.

It all waits to be discovered in Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children, an unforgettable novel that mixes fiction and photography in a thrilling reading experience. As our story opens, a horrific family tragedy sets sixteen-year-old Jacob journeying to a remote island off the coast of Wales, where he discovers the crumbling ruins of Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children. As Jacob explores its abandoned bedrooms and hallways, it becomes clear that the children were more than just peculiar. They may have been dangerous. They may have been quarantined on a deserted island for good reason. And somehow—impossible though it seems—they may still be alive.

A spine-tingling fantasy illustrated with haunting vintage photography, Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children will delight adults, teens, and anyone who relishes an adventure in the shadows.



Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children is a magical story about love, friendship and family unlike any you have read before. I fell so completely in love with this book, that I wanted to cry when I turned that last page.

The concept of this story is brilliant. It's rare to find a non-children's book that has pictures through out. I loved it! Mr. Riggs allows you to still use your imagination while giving you an extra boost in experiencing the characters.

The story follows our main character, Jacob, as he deals with his grandfathers death. Jacob grew up hearing all the tales of curious children his grandfather grew up with. After the accident, Jacob begins to question if his grandfathers "tales" were really true. So he sets off on an adventure in search of Miss Peregrine and some answers. He never expects what awaits him on that mysterious island.

I will admit that going into this, I never even imagined that the story would contain the things it does. Magic, time travel, monsters. I guess I really thought it was about peculiar children. I was blown away by the way Mr. Riggs wrote this story. The writing itself is fantastic. There are so many twists and turns and shocking moments that I lost count. (Not that I was really counting..)

Mr. Riggs also paints a picture in your mind that you'll never forget. There are so many characters that I can't even begin to talk about them all. But each one is special and peculiar in their own way. You can't help but fall for each and every one.

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children is not just a book, it's a journey. One that you are not prepared for. But a journey that will leave a mark on your soul. (CHEESE! Are you understanding me when I say I love this book??)

Read it. Now. Quick, fast but not in a hurry. And prepare yourself for Book 2, Hollow City. I for one can't wait to get my hands on that!

5 Hearts!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Recent Instagrams